What if there was an option to have the privacy of listening to your own music AND having the ability to hear what is going on around you? Sounds perfect! Well, AfterShokz is an open ear headphone that promises to allow users to enjoy their music while still able to hear their surroundings while using them. Thanks to the teams at Sweat Pink (FitApproach) and AfterShokz, I was given the opportunity to try out their Trekz Titanium Pink headphones which hopefully will be a game-changer in my running entertainment.
- AfterShokz launched in 2011, bringing patented bone conduction technology to the consumer electronics industry with their unique headphones. Initially developed for military special operations and law enforcement Voxtech in 2001, AfterShokz designed sport and Bluetooth(R) bone conduction headphones priced for everyday use. What sets AfterShokz headphones apart from any other brand is the unique open ear design, allowing users to remain aware of their surroundings while they listen to premium stereo sound. (Source: aftershokz)
- Trekz Titanium Pink are wireless, sweat resistant and perfect for fitness enthusiasts. They don’t go inside or over your ears, so you don’t need to worry about them falling out mid-workout!
- You can make and take calls, enjoy music or podcasts on the go with Trekz Titanium Pink! You’ve got the perfect workout partner with Trekz Titanium Pink, and they’ll keep you company for 6+ hours without needing a charge.
- You no longer have to choose between listening to Beyoncé or your running partner. With Trekz Titanium Pink, you can enjoy the company of both, since these headphones don’t go inside or over your ears and block out your environment or conversations!
- Trekz Titanium Pink are super flexible and lightweight with their titanium frame, and they’ll stay in place, no matter what you put them through.
- Trekz Titanium Pink are IP55 rated - which technically means you can hose them down and they’ll survive. Don’t go swimming with them, but rain and excessive sweat won’t do damage!
Obviously, step one of trying out my new AfterShokz Trekz Titanium Headphones was to get them charged. The AfterShokz Trekz Titanium Headphones come with a micro-USB cord to charge with. You can charge them via the USB port of a computer or any other USB charging device. I used a charging cube that I already had laying around and charged them in the kitchen. The specifications say that they get fully charged in 1.5 hours, but I just allowed them to charge overnight so they would be ready for my run. Easy enough.
The AfterShokz Trekz Titanium Headphones are wireless and utilize a bluetooth connectivity between them and your phone, iPod, or other bluetooth enabled device. Not to be all braggy and whatever, but as a 30-something, I am fairly technologically savvy. In order to see how simple or complex the process is to pair the headphones to my phone, I handed it over to Momma K to try out. Seriously, she had them paired together within a minute and she didn't even ask for help! Her words exactly were "if I could do it without asking you for help, you know it was easy." Boom! Done! It is time to try these things out!
Once I got synced up, Momma K decided to try to chat to me while I was playing with the volume and trying out the controls. Yep, I could still hear her, so I guess I couldn't use the excuse that I couldn't hear her because I was listening to my music. Haha!
To really put the awareness factor to test, I decided to take my AfterShokz Trekz Titanium Headphones out for a spin at a race. What better way to truly test out if I could hear my surroundings than at a race of 700ish runners around me.
For several years now, I have ran with just my right earbud in my ear. I do this so I can hear my fellow runners around me, listen for race announcements on course, and just enjoy what is around me. Running with music in both ears was definitely different, but I must say that there wasn't a moment that went by that I couldn't hear what was going on around me. From runners behind/next to me, to dogs barking in yards that we passed, and everything in between, I knew exactly what was going on. The best part is that I was still able to enjoy my race day playlist to keep me going strong.
From running races where you have a lot of other runners that you need to be aware of, or solo runs where you need to be aware of your surroundings to stay safe, AfterShokz has really changed the running game in terms of enjoying music and staying safe.
Honestly, the technology put into the AfterShokz Trekz Titanium Headphones sounded awesome and I couldn't wait to try them out. A little know fact about me is that I have a bad right ear that has gone through quite a bit since I was born. I have had a punctured eardrum multiple times growing up and ear infections are insanely common in my right ear (and always has been). While I don't have hearing issues exactly, I do have some sensitivity in that ear.
Well, I was beyond pleased how the AfterShokz Trekz Titanium Headphones performed. I was a little skeptical on how the "vibration" would feel and how well the music would sound with an "out of ear" design. After trying them out, I can without a doubt say that I am no longer a skeptic and now a firm believer in the technology. I honestly didn't even feel anything different, and I even felt like the music was a bit crisper sounding than in my previous running headphones.
I can not say enough good things about these headphones. They were super easy to work, provided quality sound, and gave me a sense of safety knowing that I still heard my surroundings while wearing them.
They were so light weight and stayed in place perfectly - even while running with no bouncing. Actually, they are so comfortable and lightweight, that I totally forgot that I was wearing them after I turned off my music. Seriously, I ended up wearing them for an hour until I remembered that I was wearing them.
It goes without saying, that I am a firm believer in AfterShokz and proud to be a part of the #ShokzSquad and rock my AfterShokz.
As a special bonus for you, AfterShokz will send a hard storage case as an additional gift for your purchase of Trekz Titanium Pink! Add the small portable storage case to your cart, and use code PinkGift at checkout to score yours for FREE (an $11.95 value)!
With October right around the corner, AfterShokz is joining the fight against breast and ovarian cancer by going (Bright) Pink! The AfterSkokz limited edition open ear Trekz Titanium Pink headphones are now available and designed to keep you aware, but in more than one way.
- 25% of proceeds from sales on aftershokz.com until October 31, 2016 will be donated to Bright Pink to support their funding to spread awareness and education on breast and ovarian cancer.
- AfterShokz will donate 25 cents to Bright Pink to help fund their continued efforts to educate and spread awareness about breast and ovarian cancer each time #AwareWithPink is used on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter until October 31, 2016.
AfterShokz On Facebook