As I prepared to enter the world of obstacle course racing over the past few months, I knew that some scrapes and cuts were going to be in my future. As I encour those wounds mid-race, I can't help but think of all the germs and bacteria that could be getting in while I complete the remainder of the course. Cleaning and killing that bacteria is key to make sure I get healed quick and fast for my next start line.
When I was approached to try out Curoxen First Aid Ointment, I knew that this was something perfect to throw into my post-OCR race kit.
CUROXEN (kyur-OX-in) is made from organic olive oil, oxygen, calendula and lavender essential oil. That’s it.
Its healing power comes from a proprietary oxygenation process, that amplifies olive oil’s inherent antimicrobial properties by combining it with oxygen, essential for cell repair. This oxygenated organic olive oil comprises over 95% of CUROXEN’s formula. The remaining 5% contains calendula, a homeopathic remedy believed to speed healing and kill bacteria, as well as a touch of essential lavender oil for fragrance.
Source: Curoxen www.curoxen.com/why
Lucky for me, I was not having any bleeding when I finished as they were lighter cuts, so I got to skip step 1. Since I was covered in mud, grass, and who knows what else from the course, cleaning my wounds was important. Curoxen recommends the following for cleaning wounds: "Once bleeding has stopped, wounds should be very gently cleaned with soap and lukewarm water, taking care to not re-open the wound. Scrubbing too hard or using hot water can resume bleeding, so it is better to go slowly and deliberately in this step, ensuring that all of the dirt, sand, or other debris is completely gone. (source: Curoxen)"
While I did have access to a hose at the race to rinse off and had some baby wipes with me, further cleaning of the wounds had to wait until I was home. Next it was time to apply my Curoxen. Curoxen is a antimicrobial that "kills any bacteria that may have entered through contact with the ground or foreign object that caused the cut or scrape, as well as create a barrier for future invading bacteria. Antimicrobials need not be rubbed in, but can be gently applied to the top of the wound just prior to applying a bandage. (source: Curoxen)"
I honestly found no problem using it in the liquid form and actually found it easier to apply. Since I am on the go so much, I had to keep my tube of Curoxen First Aid Ointment in my purse, gym bag, etc, so liquid was the way to go for me.
The lavender essential oil gave it a nice and light pleasant scent and not medicine-like at all. Perhaps my favorite thing about using Curoxen First Aid Ointment (other than the great results) is that it isn't "goopy". I absolutely hate "sticky" products going on my skin, so the fact that it applied on smooth and easily was huge for me.