Despite better judgement, Momma K and I decided that we would brave the elements and go out to the race and see what the weather brings. We figured that worst case we will go get our bibs and shirts and do a 5K later on in the afternoon when the weather clears up or go on the treadmill if needed.
The entire 20 minute drive it was like a disco with the amounts of lightning. There were so many flashes of light happening one after another along with fairly strong wind and heavy rain. Are we nuts?!?!
The volunteers were absolutely amazing and greeted us with smiles despite the insane weather. They were hoping to make a call on the race as to whether we would be delay or rescheduled in the next 30 minutes or so. We headed to the restroom and went back to the car to wait and see.
Just when we thought that the day couldn't get any crazier, the sky went from black to blue within a matter of 20 minutes!
The crowd built up quickly and nearly 90% of those registered made it out (and some race day registrants came out too). I was ready to run!
It was a nice out and back course that took you away from some of the hustle of the city races. The humidity and heat was definitely rough and I felt the effects of it. After a nagging achilles this week, I was a little disappointed in my time, but you will have rough races from time to time and you have to listen to your body and do what is right.